Under 18 homestays
Anyone under the age of 18 living in England is legally a child and Hosts International understand that these students may have additional needs in terms of welfare and support. We are experienced in placing junior students (under 18s and under 16s) in homestays and have a wide database of hosts who are experienced in accommodating both individuals and groups. We highly recommended that junior students stay in homestay accommodation for their safety, security, and home comforts and that all juniors book meals within their homestays too.
We can provide a door-to-door meet and greet transfer service from the airport to the homestay accommodation for new students. On arrival, students will also receive an Under-18s Handbook with information about living with their host family, information about the relevant laws for under-18s, and emergency contact numbers. A number of our key staff are trained in safeguarding children and will liaise with schools and the hosts if any miscommunication arises. If students require a taxi pick-up and drop-off to and from school every school day, this can be arranged (at an extra cost). We also set a curfew time for 16- and 17-year olds (10.30 pm, Monday – Sunday), unless another curfew time is agreed with both the parents of the student (by consent form) and the homestay.
We make sure that all international students who are under 18 years of age are placed with suitable homestay families, by ensuring that:
- DBS (police checks) are carried out on all homestay hosts to ensure that the safety of students is not compromised. (PVG in Scotland and Garda Vetting in Ireland)
- We only use experienced families situated close to convenient transport links to schools.
- All homestay hosts are made aware of the additional requirements for hosting students who are under 18 years of age.
- All homestay hosts sign agreements with us agreeing to provide the additional requirements for students who are under 18 years of age.
- All homestay hosts receive our Safeguarding and Prevent Guide.
- All homestay are encouraged to complete a Safeguarding Level 1 online course.
- We also carry the following registration with the British Council.
Please note, there is a small daily supplement for under 18s homestay, to reflect the additional responsibility of the host.
In circumstances where children under 16 years old (or under 18 years old if disabled) stay without a relative for more that 28 days, the child must be privately fostered. Hosts International provides suitable homestays hosts who are willing to become private foster carers for these students. We are experienced in processing the necessary documentation and our staff offer informed guidelines to the student, parents, agent, school or college and homestay host.
Template documents for all the required processes can be provided on request. Please contact email@example.com to speak to a trained member of our staff for any questions on this special service we offer.