Homestay is a unique opportunity to gain insight into the culture and customs of England and to make international friendships for life. At Hosts International, we specialise in arranging high quality home stay accommodation for students who are under 18 years of age as well as for adults. We place students with friendly and caring families as they understand that the perfect complement to your studies is to stay with a host family where you can continue to practice and improve your English language skills.
Guidelines for host families
- support and assist students to live comfortably within their new environment.
- provide students with adequate, healthy meals prepared in a clean homely environment.
- provide laundry once a week at no extra costs
- ensure that students have their own room and do not place students in a room where they will share with other students, unless specifically requested to do so when the placement is arranged.
- never raise your voice to students or scold them – make them understand as you would your own children with love and understanding
- liaise with Hosts International regarding any concerns and difficulties.
- notify Hosts International as soon as there is any change of circumstances in the household in regards to e.g. permanent residents of the house, change of number of rooms etc.
- liaise with Hosts International if you have any welfare concerns
- advise to undertake a short Online Course on Safeguarding.
- be aware of and use our 24/7 Emergency Line number as and when needed
- apply curfews to students and also follow the procedures if curfews are not met
- families are also advised on illness and welfare responsibilities for students in their home
- please ask for our Guidelines to Host families for Hosting Under 18s, if you wish to have a copy
Hosts International are experienced in placing junior students in homestays and have a wide database of qualified homestay options for both individuals and groups.
‘’Hosts International meets the standards for registration with the British Council as a provider of homestay, private home and independent self-catering accommodation for adults and under-18s for accredited providers in the UK.”
Special support is available for students who are under 18 years old when they start their studies. In order to provide this support, it is highly recommended that these students stay in homestay accommodation. We work closely with partner schools to acknowledge that anyone under the age of 18 living in England is legally a child and recognize that they may therefore have additional needs in relation to their support and welfare.
- On arrival, we can provide a door to door meet and greet transfer service straight to the accommodation for new students.
- Students will also receive an Under-18s Handbook with information about living with your host family, the relevant English Law for under-18s, emergency contact numbers etc.
- Hosts International believes that the welfare of students is extremely important. A number of our key staff are trained in safeguarding children.
- If you require a taxi pick-up and drop-off to and from school every school day, this can be arranged for you (at extra cost)
- Curfew times for 16 and 17 year olds is 10.30 pm Monday – Sunday, unless another curfew time is agreed with both the parents (by consent form) and the host family.
In order to ensure that all international students who are under-18 years of age have been placed with suitable home stay families, we ensure that:
- DBS (police checks) are carried out on all home stay families to ensure that the safety of students is not compromised.
- We only use experienced families, with quality facilities situated close to convenient transport links to schools.
- All homestay families are made aware of the additional requirements for hosting students who are under 18 years of age.
- All homestay families sign agreements with us agreeing to provide the additional requirements for students who are under 18 years of age.
- All homestay families receive our Safeguarding Guide.
- Hosts International’s safeguarding policy is available here.