Homestays are a popular choice for international students visiting the UK. They offer the benefit of a family atmosphere, the chance to practice your English, and a chance to experience a different way of life.
You won’t just be renting a room, you can expect to be treated like a member of the family. You will have full access to the home, and there will be a laundry service available. Our homestay hosts may vary from a single host mother, a retired couple, a family with pets and children, to a professional couple who offer independent accommodation with self-catering facilities.
Homestay options are also good for those students looking for temporary accommodation for a few weeks or for those seeking more independent options in the longer term. The hosts reflect our multi-cultural society and English is always the main language spoken in the house.
As a general guide, most homestays live in residential locations around 30-45 minutes from the city centre/school. The price of public transport varies from city to city, with London travelcards costing approximately £6 per day (zone 1-3), and £3 per day in Birmingham. Please see our destination pages for more details.
- Bed and Breakfast
- Half board (breakfast and evening meal)
- Bed and Breakfast with use of kitchen
- Full board (breakfast, evening meal and packed lunch)
Bed & breakfast includes a continental style breakfast consisting of cereal, toast, tea/coffee etc. Half board includes a continental breakfast and a cooked dinner consisting of a main course of meat or fish with pasta or rice and vegetables or salad, followed by a dessert, yoghurt or fruit.
Meals are usually eaten with the family unless otherwise arranged and special diets such as vegetarian, halal and other requirements can be catered for. There is a small daily supplement for vegan, gluten free, lactose free and halal diets to reflect the extra food that the host will provide. Please tell us if you have a special requirement when you request your accommodation.
We also offer a self-catering option, where you can prepare your own evening meal, and you will be given storage space in the kitchen and fridge for your own food and drink.
For group accommodation, our families also offer full board, which includes breakfast, dinner and a packed lunch containing a sandwich, fruit, drink, and a bag of crisps or a bar of chocolate.
With every family, you can be assured of:
- A private bedroom or a twin shared room if you wish to share the room with another person travelling with you.
- A bedroom with natural light, with an adequately sized bed (bunk beds may be used students under 18 years old)
- Adequate heating and lighting
- Adequate hanging and drawer space and storage for clothes
- A table or desk and chair for studying (either in the bedroom or in the main part of the house)
- Laundry access once a week
- A key to the house (for adults only)
- A weekly change of towels and bed linens
- Daily access to a bathroom with a bath or shower
- Use of the family home
- English spoken as the main language in the family home
Please note that we charge a small daily supplement for bookings at peak times (July and August) and over the Christmas holiday period.